July 8 – August 7 2013The Les Blank Tribute
When: July 8 – August 7 2013
Where: Screenings at Grownman Studios, 6412 Central Ave, Tampa, Florida
Tickets: $5.00 (Tribute pass to all screenings $25.00)
The Les Blank Tribute, a thirty film retrospective of one of America's best documentary filmmakers, will be presented during the annual Cuban Sandwich Show, Tampa's month-long celebration of its own unique culture. Tampa-born Mr. Blank, who often presented new work at Tampa film festivals from the early 1970's through 2006, recently passed away.
The tribute starts with a six-day run at Grownman Brand Studios, with consecutive screenings, 7:30 pm Monday, July 8, 2013 through Friday, July 12. On Saturday, July 13, from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm, Mr. Blank's documentaries about American music will be featured.
A special feature presentation of "Burden of Dreams" is scheduled for 8:00 pm, Saturday July 13, 2013. Tickets are $5.00 per screening, with a Tribute Pass (all screenings) available for $25.00. Grownman Brand studios is located at 6412 Central Avenue, Tampa, in Seminole Heights.
On opening night, 7:30 pm Monday July 8 2013, Blank's documentary, "Gap-Toothed Women" (1987) will kick off the 30 film retrospective. The event is hosted by Tampa filmmaker Victoria Jorgensen, who will screen her documentary, "The Moving Feast" (2006). The film is about creativity, Tampa film festivals, and includes her interviews with Les Blank.
- Monday July 8 2013: "Gap-Toothed Women" (1987), with Victoria Jorgensen's "The Moving Feast" (2006)
- Tuesday July 9: "A Well Spent Life (1971), "Sprout Wings and Fly" (1983)
- Wednesday July 10: "Innocents Abroad" (1991)
- Thursday July 11: "Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers" (1980), "Yum, Yum, Yum" (1990)
- Friday July 12: "The Maestro: King of the Cowboy Artists" (1995), "Puamana" (1991)
- Saturday July 13: (10 am - 7 pm) "Sworn to the Drum", "Huey Lewis and the News: Be-Fore!", "The Blues Accordin' to Lightin' Hopkins", "In Heaven There is No Beer?", "Always for Pleasure", "J'ai Été Au Bal (I Went to the Dance)", "Marc and Ann", "Chulas Fronteras (Beautiful Borders)", "Sprout Wings and Fly", "Hot Pepper", "Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe", "Burden of Dreams".
Addition screenings will take place throughout July on Wednesday evenings at various venues in Tampa (to be announced), ending with an evening at Grownman Studios, August 7.
Throughout July, screenings will be hosted by area filmmakers and film critics, including, Kristy Andersen, Bob Ross and Stan Kozma.
About Les Blank
In his forty plus years of making documentaries, Les Blank focused his keen cinematic eye on America and it's rich, often eccentric creative scene, especially the music (blues, polka, tex-mex, zydeco, bluegrass) and cuisine. "The Blues Accordin' To Lightin' Hopkins", "Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers", "In Heaven There is No Beer?", "J'ai Été Au Bal", "Yum, Yum, Yum", "Always for Pleasure", "Chulas Fronteras", "Hot Pepper", "Sprout Wings and Fly", "Spend It All", among others, will be screened.
However, Les Blank will be best remembered for his extraordinary documentary, "Burden of Dreams", depicting the legendary German filmmaker Werner Herzog in action. The feature film won many awards world-wide, including the British Oscar for Best Documentary. "Burden of Dreams" will screen Saturday July 13, double-billed with "Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe", Les' film about his friend losing a bet.
The Les Blank Tribute is presented with the kind permission of the Blank family, and partially sponsored by the Ybor City Development Corporation, Grownman Brand and Atlantic and Pacific Productions.